Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Anathema

So, it was inevitable. I was handed the charge phone and the temporary position of charge nurse because and I quote "You have the most seniority tonight". I know the charge nurse scheduled for that night called in sick. Bless her, I hope she feels better. But that leaves one doc, two fairly green nurses and myself who was working a midshift that just extended to an overnight shift to hold down the fort. I have no idea why it is thought acceptable to staff exactly half the number of nurses at night when during the day they have a bounty of nurses. But I digress.

One of my greenies said to me as soon as the dreaded charge phone was placeed into my hands, "No worries, it's going to be a good night." Why didst thou curse me? You are in my boat, too. The shit storm that ensued was truly remarkable.

Now, I was never a superstitious person, until I started working in the ER. I have learned there are some things you do not do: Say the Q word, voluntarily work full moons, say aloud that ___________ (fill in the blank with some dreaded problem) never happens, or even predict the status of the upcoming night.

We had 6 chest pains, count them 6, ha ha ha, chest pains show up. All at the same time, through the front door. Of the 6, 2 were cath lab worthy. One was actively trying to die. And this is on top of all of the rest of the tomfoolery that goes along with working an ER.

I was very happy to see the charge nurse for the next shift arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment